Our Program Update in Response to COVID-19
In March of 2020, Gilda’s Club Madison support groups, short term individual counseling, healthy living activities, educational workshops, and more were moved to Zoom, a HIPAA-compliant web/teleconferencing program accessible from any smartphone, tablet or computer with internet access! Options to join via telephone are also available.
In August of 2021, we will be reinstating some in-person support programs while continuing virtual options for those who are unable to attend in person. Please check the Program Calendar to see what programs are currently available in person and virtually.
What you need to know:
- Members who are returning should bring a mask when they come to Gilda’s Club. To participate in indoor, in-person programs and meetings, all participants (including those who have been vaccinated) will be required to wear a mask and practice social distancing while inside the clubhouse. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided to you.
- All in-person Gilda’s Club Madison staff and support group facilitators are fully vaccinated.
- Staff and volunteers are required to complete a daily COVID self-screening. Upon signing in, all members will also be asked to complete self-screening questions.
- For those who are unable to attend in-person programs, virtual programs will continue as an alternate participation platform.
- Our online Program Calendar will indicate whether a program is in-person, virtual, or hybrid. Each week you will receive an email that details programs that are coming up the following week.
- As always, stay home if you are exhibiting signs of illness or have been exposed to someone with a COVID diagnosis.
- Call 608.828.8873 to schedule time in the workout room, library, or art room.
- Patient Advocacy is still available. Email Debby@gildasclubmadison.org to schedule one-to-one time with Patient Advocate, Debby Deutsch.
- Please note: Our staff and board of directors strongly recommend that if you are in active chemotherapy or living with a blood cancer, please continue to participate virtually.
We will continue to keep you updated as this situation evolves via email, our facebook page and website. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we strive to keep our community safe and healthy.
Gilda’s Club Madison staff
Our Virtual Programs
Click the button below to learn more about our “virtual” program offerings:
COVID-19 General Resources
- Wisconsin Department of Health Service COVID-19 Wisconsin Summary Data
- Public Health Madison & Dane County page about Coronavirus
- CDC Information and World Health Organization Information
- Coronavirus: What People with Cancer Should Know (The National Cancer Institute)
- “What Cancer Patients, Survivors and Caregivers Need to Know about the Coronavirus” from Cancer Support Community: The centralized page has up to date information and blog posts that include tips for coping with isolation, anxiety, and uncertainty.
COVID-19 Related Financial Assistance
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Urgent Need Program-19 Patient Financial Aid Program: Provides eligible patients with assistance for non-medical expenses including rent, mortgage, lodging, utilities, childcare, elder care, food, transportation, car repair, car insurance, phone service, and acute dental work related to treatment. Eligible patients will receive a grant of $500, once within a 12 month period. At the end of the 12 month period, patients can reapply. Click here for more information on eligibility criteria and application.
- Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS) Patient Support: Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS) BMS has offered an Expanded Patent Support phone number: 1.800.721.8908. This program is designed to offer free products to patients with a current prescription for a BMS medicine who have lost their job and health insurance due to COVID-19 pandemic, or are non-US residents unable to travel to their home country due to COVID-19 pandemic. See www.BMS.com for more info and this PDF for a full list of covered meds.
- Additional financial assistance resources: Visit NeedyMed’s comprehensive national listing (note that many funds for COVID19 financial assistance have closed).