Support groups facilitated by licensed mental health professionals are offered on a weekly basis. The groups provide an opportunity for adult participants to meet with others and share first-hand experiences. Even though many people receive support from friends and family, it can be beneficial to receive support from those going through similar experiences.
At Gilda’s Club, we offer a range of support groups to meet specific needs of our community.
- Individuals diagnosed with cancer (Cancer Support Group)
- Those caring for someone who has cancer (Family & Friends Group)
- Those who are grieving a death to cancer (Living with Loss)
- Children who have a cancer connection (Teen Time and Kid Support)
In all support groups, a regular commitment is requested, and members must first meet with a Program staff person to receive group placement. Volunteers who watch kids under 4, which we call Noogie Play, can be arranged in conjunction with support groups. Please note that even with ample notice, we may not be able to guarantee Noogie Play coverage due to the scheduling limitations of our screened, trained Noogie Play volunteers.
In addition to weekly support groups, monthly support/networking groups are specialized groups which provide an opportunity for members to connect with one another about similar cancer-related issues or experiences.
- Breast Cancer, 1st Thursday of the month, 6-7:30 pm
- Blood Cancer, 2nd Monday of the month, 5:30 pm-7 pm
- Parents and Caregivers of Kids with Cancer, 2nd and 4th Mondays of the Month, 6-7:30 pm
- Young Adults, 2nd Thursday of the month, 6-7:30 pm; 4th Thursday of the month from 6-7pm
- Grupo mensual de apoyo del cáncer (Spanish language group), 3rd Monday of the Month, 6-7:30 pm
- GI Cancer, 3rd Wednesday of the month, 3-4:30 pm
- Prostate Cancer, 3rd Wednesday of the month, 6-7:30 pm
- Moving Forward, 3rd Thursday of the month, 4:30-6 pm
- Gynecological Cancer, 4th Thursday of the month, 6-7:30 pm
- Metastatic Cancer, 4th Wednesday of the month, 5-6:30 pm
SHORT TERM INDIVIDUAL COUNSELING
If you’re a member and interested in cancer-related, short term individual counseling please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (608) 828-8873.
Members can participate in an online distress screening that will help Gilda’s Club staff identify and triage people who are at risk for illness-related psychosocial complications that may interfere with the ability to cope effectively with cancer, its physical symptoms and its treatment. For more information please email email@example.com or call (608) 828-8873.
OPEN TO OPTIONS™
A licensed mental health professional will help anyone diagnosed with a new or recurrent cancer who is facing a treatment decision. The goal is to help the individual communicate clearly with their medical team, ask critical questions about treatment options and ensure that their decisions fit their personal hopes and goals. To schedule an Open to Options™ meeting please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (608) 828-8873.